The comedian and actor Russell Brand has been charged with one count each of rape, indecent assault and oral rape as well as two counts of sexual assault.
Brand will appear in court in London on 2 May, according to the Metropolitan police, which began investigating him in September 2023 after a range of allegations.
The force said the allegations related to four separate women, as it appealed for anyone affected by the case to come forward.
It is alleged that Brand raped a woman in 1999 in the Bournemouth area, indecently assaulted a woman in 2001 in the Westminster area of London, orally raped and sexually assaulted a woman in 2004 in Westminster and sexually assaulted a woman in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.
Det Supt Andy Furphy from the Metropolitan police, who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”
The Met said detectives had begun investigating in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations, which followed reporting by Channel 4’s Dispatches and the Sunday Times.
Brand has previously denied allegations of rape, assault and emotional abuse that have been made against him.