The MCG has blamed a “breakdown in the thoroughness” of security screening procedures after two men allegedly carrying loaded firearms were able to access a blockbuster match between Collingwood and Carlton.
Police alleged the weapons were found after a search by officers at the ground, as a crowd of 82,058 fans watched the Magpies defeat their arch-rivals on Thursday night.
Victoria police went to the MCG about 8.30pm on Thursday after two men allegedly refused to leave the venue when security challenged their behaviour.
They were arrested and during a search officers allegedly found they each were carrying a firearm and ammunition.
The Melbourne Cricket Club chief executive, Stuart Fox, described the incident as “disappointing and upsetting”, particularly after the sporting venue underwent a security upgrade last year.
“[The incident] highlights why we continue to explore and invest in new technologies to assist us,” Fox said.
In March 2024, the venue announced it would be the first in the southern hemisphere to use new AI-powered full-body weapon detectors. The screening system uses cameras, sensors and AI to scan for prohibited items, before sending findings to security staff.
Fox said “further investigation was required”.
“Our initial internal investigation identified a breakdown in the thoroughness of the secondary and manual screening process,” he said.
“As a result, we will be increasing the extensiveness of the secondary manual security process and patrons may experience slight delays as they attend upcoming events.”
Andrew Dillon, the chief executive of the AFL, said: “There will be additional secondary security measures in place this weekend, and the MCC in conjunction with Victoria Police and the AFL will conduct an end to end review of security measures at the ground.
“More than 1.2 million fans have attended the football so far this season and we will work closely with authorities to ensure the matches and venues continue to be a safe and welcoming place for all.”
The AFL Players Association chief executive, Paul Marsh, said what allegedly occurred was “extremely concerning and frankly unacceptable”.
after newsletter promotion
“We have been in discussions with the AFL this morning and have an understanding of what transpired,” he said.
“Pleasingly and appropriately, they have committed to additional security measures for the rest of this weekend as well as a comprehensive review of security measures at all grounds.”
Omar Salman, 21, appeared in the Melbourne magistrates court on Friday morning where he faced charges of being a person prohibited from possessing a firearm, possessing ammunition without a licence, and committing an indictable offence while on bail.
His lawyer, Matthew Weinman, told the magistrate, Timothy Bourke, it was his client’s first time in custody. He said Salman was prescribed medication by a GP for a back injury.
Police earlier said a 27-year-old man from Broadmeadows, was charged with possessing an unregistered handgun, possessing ammunition without a licence, altering the serial number of a firearm, possessing a loaded firearm, possessing a prohibited item (Major Event Act offence) and failing to appear on bail. He was remanded in custody to appear at the Melbourne magistrates court on Friday.
Salman was remanded in custody to appear at the same court on 16 April.
– with Australian Associated Press