Millions of protesters gathered Saturday at 1,300 “Hands Off” demonstrations across the country as they called for the Trump administration to stop what organizers described as “the most brazen power grab in modern history.”
Protesters opposed the Department of Government Efficiency by staging demonstrations at the National Mall in Washington, D.C., and in more than 1,000 places nationwide, asking for President Donald Trump and Elon Musk to get their “hands off” Medicaid, Medicare, public lands, immigrants, LGBTQ+ rights, cancer research, and more.
“Turnout far exceeded expectations, underscoring the nationwide groundswell of opposition to Trump and Musk’s attempts to harm everyday people in America,” the organizers said in a shared statement.
DOGE has executed mass layoffs across the federal workforce, slashed contracts, and made strides to reduce the federal government’s real estate footprint. Meanwhile, in recent weeks, the administration ordered many immigrants to be deported from the U.S., cut funding for health programs, and took steps to shutter federal agencies.
Speaking to a crowd in D.C., Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin described Trump as “an economy-crushing dictator who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
The demonstrations come one day after the stock market closed with a bloodbath on Friday, as investors are spooked about the impact of Trump’s tariff plan that he unveiled Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, the White House said the president won his second-round matchup of the Senior Club Championship today in Jupiter, Florida, and advances to the Championship Round on Sunday.
Fresh from telling Trump which national security officials to fire, conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer reveals her new political wish
Loomer’s comments come after Trump fired several members of the National Security Council following a meeting with the conspiracy theorist during which she pressed the president to remove those she deemed disloyal.
The director of the U.S. National Security Agency, Gen. Timothy Haugh, who also heads the US Cyber Command, was dismissed on Thursday, along with NSA deputy director Wendy Noble.
Gustaf Kilander6 April 2025 03:30
Trump and Musk denounced as thousands protest in cities across US: ‘The politics of Mussolini’
Millions flocked to the streets across the country in protest of President Donald Trump’s administration’s cuts to health program funding, mass firings of federal workers and steps toward shuttering entire agencies.
“Hands Off” protests, organized by nearly 200 advocacy groups, cropped up in more than 1,000 locations across the U.S. and around the globe Saturday in what became the largest day of collective action since Trump was inaugurated for a second time.
The protests aimed to put a stop to the “most brazen power grab in modern history,” organizers said. Millions — from Los Angeles to London — marched to advocate for civil rights, healthcare, democracy, workers’ rights and LGBTQ+ rights that have been under “assault” by the Trump administration and GOP Congress members, they added.
Kelly Rissman6 April 2025 03:27
Tufts PhD student scores legal win against Trump administration
A federal judge has rejected a request from Donald Trump’s administration to throw out a Tufts University doctoral student’s legal challenge to her arrest and imprisonment.
Turkish student Rumeysa Ozturk — who is currently imprisoned in a Louisiana detention center where several other international students are detained — was arrested outside her apartment in Massachusetts after masked and hooded plaint-clothes immigration agents grabbed her off the street.
On Friday, District Judge Denise Casper agreed to move her case to Vermont, where she was when her lawyers initially petitioned the court for her release. Her attorneys have argued that Immigration and Customs Enforcement deliberately and secretly moved her case into another jurisdiction where the Trump administration would have a more favorable outcome.
Alex Woodward has the story.
Kelly Rissman6 April 2025 03:00
Musk lashes out at architect of Trump’s tariffs in first public comments about shock policy
Musk is typically vocal in his support and defense of the president, but has been quiet since Trump’s “Liberation Day” tariff announcement that killed $2.5 trillion from the U.S. stock market — a loss of value that cost the Tesla CEO more than $30bn, according to CNBC.
On X, which Musk owns, he took swipes at Navarro, a Harvard-educated economist who advises Trump on trade. Navarro who was originally tapped for a spot in the White House by Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, is the author of books on China and the economic threats he says the nation poses to the U.S.
Gustaf Kilander6 April 2025 02:30
ICYMI: Trump gives TikTok deal extension after China walked away from negotiations over tariffs
President Donald Trump said on Friday he would extend the deadline for TikTok to find a U.S. buyer by an additional 75 days to “ensure all necessary approvals are signed,” while preventing the popular social media app from going dark in the United States.
“My Administration has been working very hard on a Deal to SAVE TIKTOK, and we have made tremendous progress,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. “The Deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed, which is why I am signing an Executive Order to keep TikTok up and running for an additional 75 days.”
On his first day in office, Trump delayed the app’s ban via an executive order, giving the Chinese-based owner ByteDance until Saturday, April 5 to find a U.S. buyer.
Ariana Baio has the story.
Kelly Rissman6 April 2025 02:00
World’s richest billionaires lost $200bn in single day after Trump’s tariffs rocked markets
The richest people in the world lost more than a combined $200bn on Thursday when stock markets cratered in response to tariffs slapped on imports to the US by Donald Trump.
Just over a month ago, a gradual downturn in the stock market meant that 10 tech-focused US billionaires had lost a similar value across the course of 2025 – but this time, a sharper shock wiped out that sum in one trading session.
Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index (BBI) tracks the fortunes and combined wealth of those whose assets tally at least a 10-figure sum, with the richest 13 on that list currently worth a minimum of $100bn (£77bn) each.
However, Thursday’s global stock markets fall saw the group’s combined wealth drop by $208bn, with an average decline of more than 3 percent apiece, Bloomberg said.
Karl Matchett6 April 2025 01:00
WATCH: Trump debuts ‘Gold Card’ enabling immigrants to buy US residency for $5m
Kelly Rissman6 April 2025 00:30
Former Trump official explains the reason he believes the administration is using Signal
A former Trump administration official and ex-CIA agent has revealed why he believes current Cabinet members used the publicly available app Signal to discuss Yemen attack plans, rather than a more secure system.
Kevin Carroll, who previously served under President Donald Trump in his first term and as a CIA officer, wrote an op-ed for The Guardian arguing National Security Adviser Mike Waltz, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, and other administration officials use Signal to ensure their communication isn’t discoverable in legal battles or subject to information requests.
“I believe the reason these officials risk interacting in this way is to prevent their communications from being preserved as required by the Presidential Records Act, and avoid them being discoverable in litigation, or subject to a subpoena or Freedom of Information Act request,” Carroll writes.
Katie Hawkinson has the story.
Kelly Rissman6 April 2025 00:00
Rubio says he’s revoking ‘all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders’
Gustaf Kilander5 April 2025 23:45
Trump admin sends Hegseth to ceremony for remains of soldiers while president attends fundraiser
Donald Trump did not attend a Friday ceremony in Delaware where U.S. officials accepted the remains of four soldiers who died during a training accident in Lithuania last month.
Instead, the president has been in Florida since yesterday, where he celebrated the beginning of a three-day tournament of the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series at one of his golf courses, then was set for a Friday fundraising dinner at his Mar-a-Lago estate.
“The Secretary of Defense will represent the Administration at the dignified transfer for the four brave U.S. service members who tragically died during a training exercise in Lithuania,” the White House told The Hill.
The Trump campaign and conservative media previously criticized Joe Biden for looking at his watch during a dignified transfer ceremony.
Josh Marcus has the details.
Kelly Rissman5 April 2025 23:30